[I18n-sig] Unicode surrogates: just say no!

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 14:16:47 -0700

Rick McGowan wrote:

> I have a question...
>
> Since Unicode does define upper-plane charactes -- some 40,000 of them I
> believe -- and more are on the way...  What would be the use in going
> forward with any Python implementation that doesn't handle the 21-bit
> space?

There will be only one Python implementation and it will support all
Unicode characters. As a compile time flag you can turn this support on
or off based on the individual's feeling about the importance of the new
characters versus the importance of conserving memory.
 --
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.