[I18n-sig] Unicode surrogates: just say no!

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:17:03 -0400

OK, I'm convinced that ord() should only work on single-unit strings.

If we're going to deprecate creating surrogates with \U, I think
unichr() should follow suit.  (My Klingon use case had a need for \U
but not for unichr() doing this.)

But reasonable people can argue over this.

[Tim]
> But there's a HUGE difference.  The xrange() behaviors we're seeking to shed
> have been documented for years.

Oh yeah?  Where?  The docs for XRange objects are very vague, claiming
that they "behave like tuples" and have a tolist() method.  Well, they
can't be concatenated, so they don't behave like tuples.