[I18n-sig] Re: validity of lone surrogates

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:53:10 -0400

> How would this work together with the proposed encode error handling
> callback feature (see patch #432401)? Does this patch have any change of
> getting into Python (when it's finished)?

I don't know.  The patch looks awfully big, and the motivation seems
thin, so I don't have high hopes.  I doubt that I would use it myself,
and I fear that it would be pretty slow if called frequently.

An alternative way to get what you want would be to write your own
codec.  Also, some standard codecs might be subclassable in a way that
makes it easy to get the desired functionality through subclassing
rather than through changing lots of C level APIs.