[I18n-sig] How does Python Unicode treat surrogates?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:01:33 +0200

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > It is not an option because we chose Unicode as our basis for
> > i18n work and not the ISO 10646 Uniform Character Set.
>
> Please speak for yourself only.

With "we" I referred to the python-dev/i18n-sig team. Since these
things are all based on concensus not necessarily all members of
those teams will have or have had the same opinion.

Speaking only for myself: I would very much appreciate if you would
stop throwing these meta-comments into discussions we have on this
list.

> > > And why can't Python support the two standards simultaneously?
> >
> > Why would you want to support two standards for the same thing ?
>
> Because they are almost identical.

True, but it's those small differences that make life harder.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH