[I18n-sig] pygettext dilemma

Karl Eichwalder keichwa@gmx.net
27 Jul 2001 18:38:24 +0200

barry@zope.com (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> You can't merge them with msgmerge because that program seems to just
> drop all the entries from the second file (I'm guessing since there's
> no overlap between the first and second files).

Consider to you msgcomm for this job ;)  Beware, all version up to
0.10.39 are "limited" (the option --unique is broken); it's the best to
go for the CVS version (HEAD).  YOu can check it out from

    :pserver:anoncvs@sourceware.cygnus.com:/cvs/gettext

Password it "anoncvs" (IIRC).  Info is available somewhere on the cygnus
site.  There's also msgcat; main difference: using msgcomm the first
occurence of a message wins; msgcat contatenates and the user has to
decide which translations to keep.

> What I /think/ I want now is to be able to tell pygettext.py exactly
> which files to extract docstrings from and which to only extract
> marked strings from, and then do the extraction in one fell swoop.
>
> I propose to include a -X flag like so:
>
>     -X filename
>     --no-docstrings=filename
>         Specify a file that contains a list of files that should not have
>         their docstrings extracted.  This is only useful in conjunction with
>         the -D option above.

Using the combo msggrep/msgcomm you can "throw away" unwanted messages
quite easy; maybe, this approach will help.

msgcat, msggrep and msgconv and msgexec are new tools developed by Bruno
Haible the last time.

--
ke@suse.de (work) / keichwa@gmx.net (home):              |
http://www.suse.de/~ke/                                  |      ,__o