[I18n-sig] Codec licenses

Martin v. Loewis martin@mira.cs.tu-berlin.de
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 00:36:44 +0100

> Note that iconv itself is distributed under the LGPL, so nothing
> would prevent me from writing a codec package under a Python
> style license. The same applies to all other codecs.
>
> I still think that such a needless effort could be avoided if
> people were to play nice. We could then wrap a nice codec extension
> package for everyone to use at their will.

I don't see your point (but that is probably a starting point to a
long and needless discussion on free software and licensing).

You are certainly free to write an iconv codec. I can't see *why* you
would want to do so - unless you have an actual need for it. If so,
what is that need? I'm curious.

Talking about talking other people into changing the license of their
software: Could you please change the license of mxODBC so that it is
free software? A BSD-style license would be nice; restrictions on
commercial use are not.