[I18n-sig] iconv codec

Tamito KAJIYAMA kajiyama@grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:43:14 +0900

Martin v. Loewis wrote:

| > FYI: I've modified setup.py in the following way to build the
| > iconv codec with an old libc5 and libiconv.  Two iconv libraries
| > are statically linked so that iconvmodule.so can be imported
| > without relying on the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.
| > The prefix /opt/libiconv-1.5.1 should be changed appropriately.
|
| Is that a standard location as provided by some Linux distributor?

No.  That location is a personal preference of mine, not a
standard one.

| As for linking statically vs dynamically: If you give the extension a
| runtime_library_dirs attribute, the resulting extension will find its
| shared libraries in these directories; this is achieved through the -R
| linker option.

I've used GCC 2.7.2.3, and it seems not to support the -R
option...  I tried to give the compiler two linker options
-Wl,-rpath -Wl,/opt/libiconv-1.5.1/lib, but I could not get
the desired effect, too.

| python setup.py build_ext -I/opt/libiconv-1.5.1/include -L/opt/libiconv-1.5.1/lib -R/opt/libiconv-1.5.1/lib -liconv -lcharset
|
| should have worked. I get an exception that something is a string that
| shouldn't;

Me too :-<

| if you run into the same problem, you may report it as a
| distutils bug.

I see.  Thanks.

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <kajiyama@grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp>