[I18n-sig] PEP needed

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 08:49:29 -0000

> > These discussions don't get us anywhere.
>
> I'd surely hoped they would, but I realize that this is not
> possible. I don't agree with your summary, but we can probably leave
> it at that.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

I think Marc-Andre's suggestion of a PEP is an excellent one.
Martin, why not try to produce something like this which starts at
the very beginning?  Explain what the problems are that you are trying
to solve, in PEP format; give code snippets of what you have to do
now, why it dooesn;t work, and how you would like it to work.
Then we can all get involved, and even ask Guido if we need to.
But we can't expect him or anyone else to give an opinion without a
PEP.

I don't have time to trawl through the emails and I certainly feel
a need for a summary of this debate.  Since only 2-3 people are
involved, I guess no one else has found the time either.

For anyone not familiar with these, Python Enhancement Proposals
(PEPs)
are a standard form of document used to record Python design
decisions.
They were introduced to save Guido time and give everyone something
to discuss without having to trawl through months of emails. They
can all be found at

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/python/nondist/peps/?cvs
root=python

Thanks,

Andy the pointy-haired manager
p.s. I will finish off my 'use cases' in the next couple of days;
I have a very big deadline today annd have had no time.