[I18n-sig] Japanese commentary on the Pre-PEP (2 of 4)

Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:21:25 +0100

> I still assert that the interpretation will not change. If you have no
> encoding declaration then the only rational choice is to treat each byte
> as a character. Therefore the indexes would work exactly as they do
> today.

I'm not surprised that this assertion does not convince people too much.

Again, I doubt that theoretical discussion of the issue does not bring
it much further. What is needed is an actual patch to Python so people
can see what exactly you are proposing, and in what way it would
affect their code. I'm still pretty sure that any patch that changes
string literals to be interpreted as wide strings, using the Unicode
charset, would break loads of existing applications.