[I18n-sig] RE: [Python-Dev] Pre-PEP: Python Character Model

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:06:25 -0000

> a-2-byte-encoding-space-was-too-small-the-day-unicode-was-conceived-
> >     and-20-bits-won't-last-either-ly y'rs  - tim
>
> Has anyone ever considered the problems this causes for type
> designers ? Who is going to do the job of designing 2^20 character
> glyphs to all match the same font design guidelines ? Perhaps
> I'm missing something here, but this sounds like Just is going
> to have a bright future ;-)

Work has been going on on this glyph set for many years.

And the font vendors for Japan can charge VERY high prices.  Needless
to say they are not big fans of Open Source.

- Andy