[I18n-sig] Re: Strawman Proposal: Binary Strings

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@effbot.org
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:00:44 +0100

> About changing .encode() or the existing codecs to return binary
> strings instead of normal strings: I'm -1 on this one since it
> will break existing code.

-1.  core features shouldn't return binary data in text strings.
foo.upper() shouldn't work if "foo" isn't known to contain text.
if this breaks code (not sure it does), the binary data type
needs more work.

> Instead, strings should probably carry along the encoding
> information in an additional attribute (it is not always useful,
> but can help in a few situations) provided that it is known.

-1.  evil.

Cheers /F