[I18n-sig] Python and Unicode == Britain and the Euro?

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:32:03 +0100

Andy Robinson wrote:

> This reminds me a lot of another debating going on close to home :-)
>
> - people who are in favour assume everyone else is, and that the only
> question is how to get there
> - people who are against are just plain worried but can't say why
> - the government stays very quiet and avoids asking for a referendum
>
> I want to re-ask the big question:  is it desirable that the
> standard string type should become a Unicode string one day?

Note that we are not moving to *one* new string type, but instead
make use of object orientation and fit the current use of strings
into different subclasses of a binary string type:

                  binary data string *)

                  text data string
         Unicode string      encoded 8-bit string (with encoding
           *)                                      information !)

*) these are implemented in Python 1.6-2.1.

The basic idea here is to differentiate between text data and
binary data.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg