[I18n-sig] Strawman Proposal (2): Encoding attributes

Paul Prescod paulp@ActiveState.com
Fri, 09 Feb 2001 19:11:33 -0800

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Hmm, are you sure this would make the encoding declaration a
> popular tool ?
>
> If we would just allow ASCII-supersets as source file encoding,
> then we wouldn't have to make that restriction, since only the
> Unicode literal handling in the parser would have to be adjusted
> (and this is easy to do).

We have always said that only ASCII-supersets should be legal source
file encodings.

The compromise is to make the use of non-ASCII bytes only legal inside
of Unicode literals. Then in the future we can either go "my way"
(decode the whole file) or "your way" (decode only literals).

Is that acceptable?

 Paul Prescod