[I18n-sig] Pre-PEP: Proposed Python Character Model

Wed, 7 Feb 2001 00:54:47 +0100

> The sig is the right place to work out the details but I think that
> Guido needs to decide that unifying the string and unicode types is
> the right thing before we can get there (and hopefully before we
> spend too much energy arguing about details).

I think it must be exactly vice versa. An agreement "in principle" is
worth nothing if it then turns out that an implementation is not
feasible, or would have undesirable side effects. That is how PEPs
work: you first work out all the details, get feedback from the
community, and *then* can ask for BDFL pronouncement.