[I18n-sig] Re: pygettext dilemma

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 02:31:41 -0400

    MvL> What's wrong with

    MvL>  _('No such list %(listname)s found on host %(hostname)s') %
    MvL> locals()

    MvL> No magic required; of course, this assumes that the variables
    MvL> are either all globals or all locals - I wish vars() would
    MvL> give me a dictionary of all variables (perhaps even including
    MvL> the builtins).

Bingo!  That's what I wish vars() would do to, and I want those
semantics, so I went with the _getframe() hack.

Plus, I got tired of writing trailing "% locals()" all over the place,
especially when they cluttered the code even more with long lines,
requiring continuation via extraneous paren grouping or backslashing.
Blah.

-Barry