[I18n-sig] Re: pygettext.py extraction of docstrings

Barry A. Warsaw barry@wooz.org
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:19:49 -0400

    BH> The danger is that a translator for Finnish, Turkish or
    BH> Romanian, without deep programming knowledge, will spend a lot
    BH> of his time translating programmer's documentation, which
    BH> won't help the end users of his country. There are not many
    BH> translators for these languages; we shouldn't abuse them.

    BH> IMO, those __doc__ strings that are used at runtime should be
    BH> explicitly marked as translatable by the programmer, to avoid
    BH> excess work by the translator. The way you mark them doesn't
    BH> really matter; it can be a tag in a comment, or something else
    BH> that triggers xgettext extraction.

I think you're on the right track, but I think that Martin's and my
applications show that we probably need to cover these two situations:

1) No docstrings are extracted unless they are preceded by a magic
   "extract" comment.

2) All docstrings are extracted unless they are preceded by a magic
   "noextract" comment.

    BH> You can point these people to the
    BH> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/ site which has gettext
    BH> binaries for Win32 ready for download.