[I18n-sig] Re: pygettext dilemma

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
12 Aug 2001 20:41:34 -0400

[Martin v. Loewis]

> > One problem is that Python does not seem to automatically concatenate
> > a sequence of strings as a single one, when in docstring position.

> What version did you use to try this?  It works fine for me:

Oops!  You are right.  Sorry, I made my tests wrong:

    Python 2.1 (#1, Jul  3 2001, 21:59:44)
    [GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on linux2
    >>> def bonjour():
    ...    'chez '
    ...    'vous!'
    ...    pass
    >>> bonjour.__doc__
    'chez '
    >>> def bonjour():
    ...    'chez ' 'vous!'
    ...    pass
    >>> bonjour.__doc__
    'chez vous!'

So, there is no problem, and:

    ''""" LONG DOC STRING """

could be marked as translatable exactly like this.  This could allow
sorting out between docstrings meant to be translated, from the others,
one string at a time, rather than one module at a time.