[I18n-sig] Re: Patch 101320: doc strings

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 07:57:37 +0100

At 12:34 AM -0400 06-09-2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>    FP> What is the purpose of installing a definition of _() just
>    FP> meant to be overriden?  It should not make sense for any
>    FP> module to use _() without defining it, as this is the way to
>    FP> associate that module to a textual domain.  Each module ought
>    FP> make this association separately.
>
>Agreed, for modules.  The documentation even recommends that modules
>never install().
>
>gettext.install() is for application that have their own global text
>domains.  You don't want to have to define _() in every file in the
>application.

If such an application also uses exec in combination with compile(src,
"<input>", "single") (ie. wants to offer an interactive Python window),
it's pretty much screwed, as this also uses __builtins__._...

Just