[I18n-sig] Re: Patch 101320: doc strings

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
06 Sep 2000 00:19:40 -0400

[Barry A. Warsaw]

>     FP> As for `gettext.install' function, it looks awkward.  This
>     FP> would be the only case I know, in the Python library, where a
>     FP> library function hacks a variable in the local name space.

> It doesn't.  gettext.install() hacks the __builtin__ module's
> namespace, which is the last namespace search after locals and
> globals.  So if a module defines _(), that definition will override
> the one put in __builtin__ by gettext.install().

Bizarrier and bizarrier! :-)

What is the purpose of installing a definition of _() just meant to be
overriden?  It should not make sense for any module to use _() without
defining it, as this is the way to associate that module to a textual domain.
Each module ought make this association separately.