[I18n-sig] Re: Patch 101320: doc strings

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@beopen.com
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:43:25 -0400 (EDT)

    MvL> Maybe my logic is somewhat flawed: - Did you agree that doc
    MvL> strings of a module should use the same domain as all other
    MvL> strings of the module?

Yes.

    MvL> - Did you propose that a single
    MvL> package, distributed as a whole, should have a single textual
    MvL> domain?

Yes.

    MvL> - Do you agree that the Python core+libs is a single
    MvL> package?

Not sure.  I think you and Francois do, so I'll defer.  One issue is
for 3rd party modules, and for modules that migrate into the core.  At
the very least, 3rd party modules will /not/ be in the "python"
domain, but if they are migrated into the core, that may change.

If I distribute a module independently, say using distutils, then I'm
going to want to mark the translatable strings, and possibly
distribute a .po file for my module.  In that sense my single module
is a single package.

    MvL> I've given up on having message catalogs in the Python 2.0
    MvL> distribution. Since there is no point in having the catalog
    MvL> without any translations, this is not so urgent. What *is*
    MvL> urgent is to give the catalog to the translators.

I sent out a message about a file system layout for including the
files in the nondist tree of the CVS repository.  Did you read that
message Martin?  What did you think?  Guido's amenable to that
solution for now.

-Barry