[I18n-sig] Re: gettext in the standard library

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
04 Sep 2000 17:37:35 -0400

[M.-A. Lemburg]

> Once the "declare" statement is in place you should also be able to write:

> declare encoding = "utf-8"
> ... u"utf-8 encoded string" ...

> in Python source code.

I'm not aware of that "declare" statement (or declaration?), but it sounds
like addressing a need.  But if it exists as stated above, I predict for
myself that I'll often forget the `u' prefix. :-).

Is that what you meant when saying that the programmer will have to be
aware all the time if using Unicode strings?  It looks like it.

The POT extractors will have to be modified to know such conventions.