[I18n-sig] Re: Patch 101320: doc strings

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 19:44:42 +0200 (MET DST)

> > I'm certain it will take some time to get translations back, so if
> > we want to have something in the next release (after 2.0), we should
> > start today.
>
> This is another thing.  You have to loose hope, _right now_, to ever keep
> all translations synchronous with releases.

I never had this hope - this is the first thing the gettext manual
told me a few years ago. However, would you then conclude to the
contrary: Teams never finish, so we don't need to start?

> You will live endless irritation, and might end up pretty disgusted,
> if you start trying to push and pull on teams.

I certainly won't push teams. At the moment, I'm pushing Python
maintainers to grant me the freedom to release an already existing
catalogue.

As a translator, I'm always frustrated when my translations aren't
used in released software (*). The reason for that is that quite a lot
of translations tend to get fuzzy in short time.

(*) In the German catalog of GNU grep, which I maintain, a number of
option descriptions appear in English in grep 2.3, even though they
had mostly-correct translations. It does not help at all that the
manual says I should not worry - I did. In grep 2.4.2, everything
is fine - mainly as a result of better coordination.