[I18n-sig] Re: [XML-SIG] Character encodings and expat

Mon, 30 Oct 2000 23:45:42 +0100

> I don't think that reinventing the wheel for the sake of
> cross-platform compatibility is a bad thing.

I think it is a bad thing if it deviates from the traditional Python
to cross-plattform solutions, which is to unify different interfaces
into a single one (e.g. os, threads, anydbm, DB API, even
Tkinter). Traditionally, Python provides a fall-back if the platform
does not provide the functionality. With the codecs, Python provides
the functionality even though the platform provides it as well, and in
a better way. That is a bad thing, but I hope it can be corrected in
future releases.