[I18n-sig] Re: [XML-SIG] Character encodings and expat

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:07:56 -0500 (EST)

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
 > I think that we ought to start a project for implementing
 > the AsianCodecs package.

Agreed. Basis Technology can host this effort if
necessary. Regardless, I will volunteer to handle the Chinese
encodings, including:

GB 2312-80, CP936
Big Five, Big Five Plus, CP950, Big Five HKSCS

and others in the IANA list not mentioned above.

I would also suggest that someone (perhaps based on Tamito's work)
implement a general purpose ISO-2022 codec that can be subclassed for
the locale specific environments.

    -tree

Zenkaku Language Hacker                            http://www.basistech.com