[I18n-sig] Sourceforge Project now operational

Tom Emerson tree@basistech.com
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 11:43:24 -0500 (EST)

M.-A. Lemburg writes:
 > I think that a package AsianCodecs might be a good starter
 > for all encodings of that area.

IMHO it is better to break these down by language: downloading all of
the Asian codecs could be a bit draconian. By that scheme a single
package would contain:

Japan:
  ShiftJIS
  CP932
  ISO-2022-JP
  EUC-JP
China:
  GB-2312
  GB-12345
  GBK
  CP936
  Big Five
  CP950
  Big 5+
  HKSCS
  Eten
  CNS11643
  GB13000
Korea:
  KSC 5601
  KSSM
  Johab
  EUC-KR
Thailand:
  TIS-620
  CP964
  ISO 8859-11

and more that I can't think of right now.

Better, IMHO, to have separate codecs broken down by language: this is
what we have done in Rosette. We may even want to break some (like the
Chinese encodings) into smaller sections: Simplified, Traditional, and
"Both".

Perhaps a name based on the ISO language codes would be useful?

    -tree

Zenkaku Language Hacker                            http://www.basistech.com