[I18n-sig] Perhaps the locale should matter?

Florian Weimer fw@deneb.cygnus.argh.org
06 May 2000 10:03:34 +0200

Just van Rossum <just@letterror.com> writes:

> PPSS: shouldn't u'\337'.upper() yield u'SS'? (\337 is the german "sha=
rp s")

Yes, that's right.  There are about one hundred special case mapping
rules (some of them are even locale-dependent), covering ligatures
(such as "=EF=AC", "=EF=AC", "=EF=AC"), and characters for which the=
re's no
precomposed upper case form (like "=CE", which becomes "=CË́"), or w=
hich
are otherwise special.  These case mapping rules are not normative,
but it's a good idea to follow them anyway, I think.