[I18n-sig] Perhaps the locale should matter?

Harald Tveit Alvestrand Harald@Alvestrand.no
Fri, 05 May 2000 23:23:36 +0200

At 18:26 05.05.2000 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>I like this idea a lot.  There was some discussion on the Linux-UTF-8
>list <linux-utf8@nl.linux.org> on this topic (I'm Cc:ing them).
>Current GNU libc development versions provide nl_langinfo() and
>understand locale settings like "LANG=de_DE.UTF-8".  I don't know if
>this convention is widely used, though.  If it isn't, there's probably
>nothing else, so you could use it anyway. ;)

POSIX or part of the ISO locales work. Keld Simonsen <keld@dkuug.dk> would
know.

(I found the <language>_<country> convention in a draft for ISO 15897; that
doc did not specify a .charset extension for it)

                         Harald

Harald.Alvestrand@edb.maxware.no