[I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Unicode debate

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Wed, 03 May 2000 15:06:27 +0200

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> > How about using unicode-escape or raw-unicode-escape as
> > default encoding ? (They would have to be adapted to disallow
> > Latin-1 char input, though.)
> >
> > The advantage would be that they are compatible with ASCII
> > while still providing loss-less conversion and since they
> > use escape characters, you can even read them using an
> > ASCII based editor.
>
> umm.  if you disallow latin-1 characters, how can you call this
> one loss-less?

[Guido didn't like this one, so its probably moot investing
 any more time on this...]

I meant that the unicode-escape codec should only take ASCII
characters as input and disallow non-escaped Latin-1 characters.

Anyway, I'm out of this discussion...

I'll wait a week or so until things have been sorted out.

Have fun,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg