[Python-Dev] Re: [I18n-sig] Re: Unicode debate

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Tue, 2 May 2000 23:22:20 -0400

Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>:
> Where are we going? What's our long-range vision?
>
> Three years from now where will we be?
>
> 1. How will we handle characters?
> 2. How will we handle bytes?
> 3. What will unadorned literal strings "do"?
> 4. Will literal strings be the same type as byte arrays?
>
> I don't see how we can make decisions today without a vision for the
> future. I think that this is the central point in our disagreement. Some
> of us are aiming for as much compatibility with where we think we should
> be going and others are aiming for as much compatibility as possible
> with where we came from.

And *that* is the most insightful statement I have seen in this entire
foofaraw (which I have carefully been staying right the hell out of).

Everybody meditate on the above, please.  Then declare your objectives *at
this level* so our Fearless Leader can make an informed decision *at this
level*.  Only then will it make sense to argue encoding theology...
--

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the
pursuit of justice is no virtue."