[I18n-sig] Re: [Python-Dev] Unicode debate

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 02 May 2000 11:48:03 -0400

[Just]
> And let's face it, Latin-1 is the ASCII of today.

Maybe that's where we disagree.  I don't actually have any decent
facilities to enter Latin-1 characters -- neither my Unix box nor my
Windows box has a Latin-1 key, and I think the Mac over there in the
corner has accented characters but it doesn't use Latin-1.

Displaying Latin-1 works about 75% of the time on Unix (several of the
system fonts only have glyphs for ASCII) and 99% of the time on
Windows, but when I save a Word file as text and copy it to Unix, it
has non-Latin-1 characters for squiggly quotes and em-dashes...

So for me, Latin-1 is Euro-centric more than anything.

I wonder what position Latin-1 has in countries like Israel or Japan?
I'm pretty sure they support ASCII, since we can exchange email :-)