[I18n-sig] Proposal: Extended error handling for unicode.encode

Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:00:34 +0100

> One simple and extensible solution would be to be able to
> pass an error handler function as the error argument for encode.
[...]
> Does this make sense?

That is indeed the best solution for that problem that I've heard so
far. I'm not so sure about replacing "strict" with, say,
codecs.strict, but in general, it seems like a very elegant approach
to me.

The only problem is that all existing codecs have to be reworked to
take the extended interface into account. Would you like to work on a
patch for Python?