[XML-SIG] Re: [I18n-sig] Mixed encodings and XML

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 08:21:44 -0700

> * uche ogbuji
> |
> | 1.  Is there any way to convince an XML parser to work with source
> | with mixed encoding.
>
> A single XML entity must be entirely in a single character encoding.
> A document, however, can be in any number of different encodings,
> provided each entity is internally consistent.  You can have encoding
> declarations on both the document entity (in the form of the XML
> declaration) and on subordinate entities (using text declarations).
>
> So you can do what you want using entities.

Excellent!  Just when I'd convinced myself that I was on a fool's errand,
comes Lars to the rescue.

I gues it's been too long since I've exercised all of XML 1.0.  I so rarely
use entities that I completely forgot that they are exactly the solution.  I
can use entities in special XML elements, and extend the docbook stylesheet to
output the contents of those elements to a separate file using the
"ft:write-file" extension element.

Perfect.  Thanks.