[I18n-sig] Mixed encodings and XML

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:45:46 -0700

> > My guess is that it displays gibberish as you suggest.  In this case, I think
> > there's no point expecting HTML generated from XML to do any better and it
> > simply makes sense to break out the alternatively encoded portions into
> > separate, linked files.
>
> No. What makes sense, if the intention of the original author is to
> show the Chinese text correctly, is to convert that section to UTF-8
> and put that in the document.

Eccovi!  Now I understand why we've been talking past each other.  I assumed
you'd read the text in question: bad assumption, I admit.

No.  The intention is not to display Chinese characters correctly.  The
intention, I'm pretty sure, is to provide examples than can be cut and pasted
in order for people to play with the various snippets themselves.  As such,
I'm not really concerned about what the HTML rendering looks like when it hits
the different encodings.  What I was originally writing about was:

1.  Is there any way to convince an XML parser to work with source with mixed
encoding.  The exchange with you has helped disabuse me of any silly notion
that this might be so.  So I shall have to use XInclude.

2.  Will the results of the rendering be such that the LATIN-1 parts can be
read normally and the portions with other encodings would be available for cut
and paste?  If I use XInclude, no reason why not.

So thanks for all the help.  I think I was pretty much on a fool's errand from
the start, but at least I know how to proceed.