[I18n-sig] naming codecs

Tamito KAJIYAMA kajiyama@grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 20:05:26 +0900

Hi all,

I'd like to receive some suggestions about the naming of a codec.

I consider releasing a version of the JapaneseCodecs package
that will include a new codec for a variant of ISO-2022-JP.  The
codec is almost the same as the ISO-2022-JP codec, but it can
encode and decode Halfwidth Katakana (U+FF61 to U+FF9F) which
can not be encoded with ISO-2022-JP as defined in RFC1468.

I believe there is a demand for the codec, but I have no idea
on the name of the codec.  I'd like to give it a name that is
different from all standard encoding names, since the encoding
for which the codec works is not defined as a standard
(e.g. RFCs).  I'd also like to avoid an encoding name that is
likely to be used as a standard encoding name in the future.

Does anyone have a good name for the codec?  Or, how may I think
about the naming of a codec?  Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <kajiyama@grad.sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp>