[I18n-sig] P1.6a1- Win98 - unicode issues

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:34:34 -0400

> I am able to copy/paste Cyrillic unicode
> from Internet Explorer 5
> into IDLE, without losing fonts.  Text appears
> identical to original. I can wrap the text with
> a print statement "<PUT_CYRILLIC_HERE>"
> and it will print the string.
>
> However writing into IDLE is a problem:
> if I switch to the Cyrillic keyboard layout
> in IDLE, the fonts change to something, but it is not
> Cyrillic (perhaps upper ascii??).
>
> In contrast, WIn98 Wordpad (which will read/
> write unicode) associates the keyboard to the
> 'script' of the font.  Selecting Russian keyboard
> automatically switches from Courier New (Western)
> to Courier New (Cyrillic).
>
> Can this operability be extended to IDLE?
> Without keyboard access
> If not, is there a way to change which font set
> appears when the Russian (or other foreign) keyboard is
> selected?
>

> Ideally I would write everything in unicode
> just as written, using WordPad (or Outlook Express, Juno, etc.)
> mixing the languages thusly ( simple 1 line script)
>
> RussianText.py
> print '???????? ?????'
>
> but IDLE won't read unicode scripts.

Doug,

Can you see if Tcl/Tk version 8.2 or 8.3 (downloadable from
dev.scriptics.com) does what you want?  IDLE is implemented using
Tcl/Tk.  In Python 1.6a1, I'm using Tcl/Tk 8.3.0, but in 1.6a2 I will

Tcl/Tk's "wish" application supports Unicode.  If it supports your
Cyrillic input method, the problem is with Python's interface to
Tcl/Tk.  If on the other hand the problem is the same with Tcl/Tk,
there's nothing I can do -- you'll have to ask the comp.lang.tcl
newsgroup for help!