[GSoC-general] Regarding projects and begineer guide

Matthew Lagoe Matthew.Lagoe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:15:23 EST 2018

Hi durges,

To apply, you need to take a look at the mentoring organizations and the
ideas that they are willing to sponsor <http://python-gsoc.org/#ideas> do
note however that the site has not been updated from the 2018 site and the
mentoring organizations will likely change. Typically, you'll choose one of
their ideas and work with a mentor to create a project proposal that's good
for both you and your chosen open source community. Sometimes, projects are
open to new ideas from students, but if you propose something new make
especially sure that you work with a mentor to make sure it's a good fit
for your community. Unsolicited, undiscussed ideas are less likely to get
accepted.

Note that Python is an "umbrella organization" which means that our team is
actually a group of python projects that work together to do Google Summer
of Code. If you're going to apply with us, you'll need to choose from one
of those teams, because that defines which mentors will be helping you with
your applications. *Applications without any sub-org and mentor to evaluate
them will be rejected.* You can work with more than one sub-org while
you're figuring out what you want to do, but you can only accept one job
offer. Here's some resources so you can read up more on how to be an
awesome student:

   - The GSoC student Guide
   <http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/what-is-google-summer-of-code/>
   -- This is a guide written by mentors and former students. It covers many
   questions that most students ask us. Please read it before asking any
   questions on the mailing list or IRC if you can! New students in particular
   might want to read the section Am I Good Enough?
   <http://write.flossmanuals.net/gsocstudentguide/am-i-good-enough/>
   - Google's list of resources
   <https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/> -- Note
   especially the Frequently Asked Questions
   <https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/faq> (FAQ) which does in
   fact answer 99% of the questions we get on the main GSoC IRC channel.
   - Python's SummerOfCode/Expectations
   <https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/Expectations> also talks
   about what Python in particular is looking for in its students.
   - Python's Summer of Code Frequently Asked Questions
   <http://python-gsoc.org/faq.html> answers the questions that we most
   often get about Python's projects. You might want to see How do I choose
   a project or a sub-org? <http://python-gsoc.org/faq.html#choosing> or How
   many slots does Python get? <http://python-gsoc.org/faq.html#slots>