[group-organizers] Collecting Sponsor Money

Sean O'Connor sean at seanoc.com
Thu Jan 31 21:46:32 CET 2013

For DjangoNYC I've always handled money through the LLC I have setup for
consulting work.  That being said I almost always try to push sponsors to
do service-in-kind instead of cash sponsorships (e.g. they buy pizza for
the group instead of giving me cash to buy pizza) and in the cases we have
done cash it's always been < $500.

The main things to be careful of with running money through your own
accounts are:

   - collections - make sure that you trust the companies if they are not
   paying in advance of your event.
   - taxes - depending on where you are, the quantities involved, and how
   exactly things are handled the sponsorship money could look like income to
   the IRS.  Depending on your knowledge of such things, you might want to
   talk to an accountant to make sure you do things right.

Sean O'Connor
http://seanoc.com