[Grants-discuss] Getting the ball rolling...

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 17:21:23 CEST 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:12:09 -0400, Greg Wilson <gvwilson at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone.  Quite a coincidence --- I mailed a PDF of a grant proposal
> to psf-grants last night, then saw David Ascher's notice about this
> mailing list in my blog feed this morning ;-).  So, a handful of
> questions:

Hi Greg.  Good to see some questions, thanks.  I am not on the grants
committee, so most of my answers are just my opinions.

> 1. Are multiple applications from the same person or group encouraged,
>    discouraged, or neither?

IMO, either encouraged or neither.  I don't see any reason to discourage
completely different proposals.  However, the proposals should be different.
Two similar proposals should not be encouraged.

> 2. Is it OK to circulate drafts of proposals here to get feedback from
>    other potential proposers?

I think this is ok.  The PSF's goal is to improve Python.  We *want*
to pay out grant money to improve Python.  But only if we perceive
a benefit to the community.

IMO anything you can do to improve the quality of your proposal
and strengthen your likelihood of success is a win-win.

> 3. Are there any special tax considerations for proposers outside the US?

Since I'm treasurer, this is probably as definitive of an answer as
you are going
to get:  we don't know.  I haven't done any research on the issue.  My intention
was to send 1099s at the end of the year.  But that would only apply to US
residents.

My guess is that there are no special considerations.  From the PSFs perspective
we list all our grants, including amounts on the yearly tax return.
>From a grant
recipient's perspective, they are receiving income from the PSF as a
subcontractor.
It is income just like any other income they would receive from another company.

HTH,
Neal