[Flask] simple query testing of forms in Flask

Piotr Grabowski kajocina at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 11:32:29 EST 2018

Hi there,

I have a Flask application that is visualizing data based on queries that
users make in a text form on the website. There is only a finite number of
queries that can be made (~15.000). However, for technical reasons some
queries sometimes fail, e.g. when a user misspells a query.

In most cases everything is handled well but I do occasionally see some
fringe cases that break the app and the users get a white screen.

My question: is there some simple solution that could help me iterate over
the list of possible queries (that I have) to check if they ever break the
app? I can imagine that a bash script could do this and just list all cases
which didn't return 200/OK from the server, but maybe there is a nicer way
to do it?

I already looked at http://flask.pocoo.org/docs/0.12/testing/ but have no
experience with this and need some quick fix before I learn how to write
proper Flask unit tests...

I'll be thankful for any tips!

Best,
Piotr