[Flask] Help with converters that require an application context

Alexei Bendebury alexeibendebury at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 21:53:57 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I'm working on a project in which I have a lot of views that take in
an ID number of some model via url variables and then check if the
model exists before continuing.

I thought that it would be useful to move this functionality into a
url converter to clean up my code.

However, it seems that I need an application context to do a database
lookup in a url converter, and I can't quite figure out how to do it.

This SO question isn't mine, but it perfectly describes my issue,
along with code examples:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33856007/passing-application-context-to-custom-converter-using-the-application-factory-pa

I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to do.