[Expat-discuss] generated Makefile has wrong value set for INSTALL - 2

Andrew Hardy Andrew.Hardy at marconi.com
Wed Jul 20 14:46:50 CEST 2005

----- Forwarded by Andrew Hardy/MAIN/MC1 on 20/07/2005 13:47 -----
|         |           Andrew Hardy     |
|         |           19/07/2005 17:31 |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       expat-discuss at libexpat.org                                                                                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  generated Makefile has wrong value set for INSTALL - 2                                                                           |

Ok,

I think I have part of the answer.

If there is an install existing in a bin directory in the users path then
that one will be used instead of 'conftools/install-sh'.

This is the case for the user who tried to build since me.  However we want
the build to be fixed and always use 'conftools/install-sh'.  I am guessing
it is some kind of configure option, but I'm not sure which.

We have the --prefix option set, but that just says where the libraries etc
go, not which install utility to use.

Andrew H.

----- Forwarded by Andrew Hardy/MAIN/MC1 on 19/07/2005 17:28 -----
|         |           Andrew Hardy     |
|         |           19/07/2005 16:48 |
  |                                                                                                                                                  |
  |       To:       expat-discuss at libexpat.org                                                                                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                        |
  |       Subject:  generated Makefile has wrong value set for INSTALL                                                                               |

I have incorporated the expat build process into our combined software
builds and it has been working fine.

However recently a user other than myself carried out the same process

( cd expat; configure --prefix=/workingdirectory/expat;
PATH=/usr/ccs/bin:$(PATH); /usr/local/bin/make all; /usr/local/bin/make
install; cd .. )

The symptoms I think I have traced to, following the configure, the wrong
value set in the generated Makefile for INSTALL.  When I build I get it set
to 'conftools/install-sh -c', but he gets it set to something quite
different that looks like some local feature.

I have been looking at the configure script to try to see what is used in
this aprt of the Makefile generatio / fillin the blanks bit, but so far I
have not managed to figure it out.

I would be very grateful if some-one could put me straight.

Many thanks,

Andrew Hardy.