[Expat-discuss] Sizes of GetCurrentByteIndex() and friends

Uwe Salomon post at uwesalomon.de
Mon Feb 7 20:15:11 CET 2005

Hi,

a few days before I decided to use Expat as the parser for my own project.
When I looked over the documentation, (which is really good, I must say) I
wondered why the return types of

XML_GetCurrentByteIndex()
XML_GetCurrentLineNumber()
XML_GetCurrentColumnNumber()

are so small. int is guaranteed to have 2 bytes (well, on most platforms
it has 4), but shouldn't it be a long then for lineNumber() and
columnNumber()? 32000 lines are not soo much. And the byteIndex() should
be a long long, i think. Perhaps version 2.0 is a good opportunity to add
these changes for the functions (and the underlying data structures as
well, of course).

By the way, great work this library...

Ciao
uwe