[Expat-discuss] (no subject)

Nick MacDonald nickmacd at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:46:24 CET 2005

This is not an expat specific situation...  '&' is specifically reserved by
the XML standard..  see: http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/

--snip--
2.4 Character Data and Markup

Text consists of intermingled character data and markup. [Definition: Markup
takes the form of start-tags, end-tags, empty-element tags, entity
references, character references, comments, CDATA section delimiters,
document type declarations, processing instructions, XML declarations, text
declarations, and any white space that is at the top level of the document
entity (that is, outside the document element and not inside any other
markup).]

[Definition: All text that is not markup constitutes the character data of
the document.]

The ampersand character (&) and the left angle bracket (<) MUST NOT appear
in their literal form, except when used as markup delimiters, or within a
comment, a processing instruction, or a CDATA section. If they are needed
elsewhere, they MUST be escaped using either numeric character references or
the strings "&amp;" and "&lt;" respectively. The right angle bracket (>) MAY
be represented using the string "&gt;", and MUST, for compatibility, be
escaped using either "&gt;" or a character reference when it appears in the
string "]]>" in content, when that string is not marking the end of a CDATA
section.
--snip--