[Expat-discuss] Makefile Error message

Vishal Anand vishal at absiweb.com
Fri Feb 6 17:54:45 EST 2004

Hi,

I have FTP'D the expat.zip from the link:
ftp://ftp.jclark.com/pub/xml/expat.zip for building an Open OSP. But
while executing the Makefile I am getting the following error message. I
have also attached the new Makefile with the changes I have made as per
the environment of my Sun Solaris Box.

For you reference:

Hardware I am using is:

fgws3 $ uname -a

SunOS fgws3 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2

Compiler detail is:

fgws3 $ gcc -v

Reading specs from
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/2.95.3/specs

gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release)

Present working directory where I running Makefile is:

fgws3 $ pwd

/home/esherman/EXTROOT/expat

fgws3 $

And the following error message I got while executing the make file:

fgws3 $ Makefile

Makefile[8]: -I/home/esherman/EXTROOT/expat/xmltok:  not found

Makefile: /home/esherman/EXTROOT/expat/xmltok/xmlrole.o: cannot execute

Makefile[17]: FILEMAP_OBJ:  not found

Makefile: /home/esherman/EXTROOT/expat/xmlwf/xmlfile.o: cannot execute

Makefile[23]: EXE:  not found

Makefile[25]: XMLWF:  not found

Makefile[25]: all::  not found

Makefile[27]: XMLWF:  not found

Makefile[27]: OBJS:  not found

Makefile[27]: LIB:  not found

Makefile[28]: CC:  not found

Makefile[28]: CFLAGS:  not found

Makefile[28]: OBJS:  not found

Makefile[28]: LIB:  not found

Makefile[28]: -o:  not found

Makefile[30]: LIB:  not found

Makefile[30]: LIBOBJS:  not found

Makefile[31]: AR:  not found

Makefile[31]: LIB:  not found

Makefile[31]: LIBOBJS:  not found

Makefile[31]: rc:  not found

Makefile[33]: clean::  not found

Makefile[34]: OBJS:  not found

Makefile[34]: LIBOBJS:  not found

Makefile[34]: LIB:  not found

Makefile[34]: XMLWF:  not found

Makefile[36]: EXE:  not found

Makefile[36]: /home/esherman/EXTROOT/expat/xmltok/nametab.h::  not found

Makefile[38]: EXE:  not found

Makefile[38]: /home/esherman/EXTROOT/expat/gennmtab/gennmtab:  not found

Makefile[40]: EXE:  not found

Makefile[40]: /home/esherman/EXTROOT/expat/gennmtab/gennmtab::  not
found

Makefile[41]: CC:  not found

Makefile[41]: CFLAGS:  not found

Makefile[41]: -o:  not found

Makefile[43]: /home/esherman/EXTROOT/expat/xmltok/xmltok.o::  not found

Makefile[45]: .c.o::  not found

Makefile[46]: syntax error at line 47 : `newline or ;' unexpected

I didn't get any document on prerequisites for executing the Expat
makefile. I made some changes by going through the Makefile; which are:

*	Created the xmltok.o, xmlparse.o  codepage.o etc using the
following command: gcc -c *.c .

But still I am not able to build the Expat object files.

Please help me as soon as possible, for building my application I only
need to build the Expat object files. What are step I have to do in
order to resolve these error messages, if possible provide me any
document which talk about steps to build Expat object files.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

Vishal