[Expat-discuss] [Beginner] UTF-8 / UTF-16 Question

Alan Leigh alleigh at mac.com
Fri Aug 29 03:11:48 EDT 2003

Hi all,

I'm using another library which assumes anything that is a char* is
ASCII, and anything that's wchar_t* is unicode. Anyway.. expat is doing
its job very nicely, and so is the other library I think but I can't
get them to cooperate. I installed expat using the default encoding
(UTF-8), but since my other library thinks char* are ascii, that
doesn't seem to work. I went back and built the other library,
libexpatw, and I link with that, but I still get the XML_Char being a
char. The other option I suppose, can I just 'promote' a char* to a
wchar_t* - does this make sense if the char* is UTF 8??

Anyone?
A suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Alan