[Expat-discuss] Newbie Question

Beckwith, Stephen at GNS Stephen.Beckwith at L-3com.com
Mon Apr 21 09:21:21 EDT 2003

Greetings,
   I am a "C" programmer, interested in using Expat for an "embedded"
application.  I have read the documentation and learning about XML.  My
intention is to use XML to describe parameters being used to configure some
embedded equipment.
  Being an embedded programmer, I have limited experience when it comes to
"parsing", though I have done some of this in the past (in a much more
simplistic way).  I get the general "hint" (I think) of what the Parser is
doing, but I have a problem with:
1.  Is there a "single" START and END Tag call back function in one's
program?  IF YES, then:
2.  How does one distinguish the possible "tags" that could be passed back?
I would think that one would setup the Parser with a list of the "expected"
tags to be parsed, and then equate each of these with a separate function.
However, my impression is that the parser is written to be "generic" in that
it only parses to the semantics of what a "tag" is (i.e. it looks for the
"<" and "/>") and you're left with handling the rest.  Am I correct in this
view?
Thanks in advance for your insights.
Regards,
Stephen Beckwith,