[Expat-discuss] Problems building expat xml parser (Solaris 8, Sun Forte C++ 6 Up date 2)

Edward Chan echan@macromedia.com
Wed Nov 14 19:01:02 2001

Hi there,

I'm new to the list, so hopefully I'm sending this to the right list.  Anyway, I'm trying to build the expat xml parser on Solaris 5.8, using Sun's Forte C++ 6 Update 2 compiler, but having some difficulty.  However, I was able to build it on a different solaris box, with a different compiler.  I think that box was Solaris 5.5.1 and the compiler version was version 4.2.

I get some link errors when trying to link with libexpat.a when building xmlwf.  And though I don't need the xmlwf program (I don't even know what it is), I do need to link my program with libexpat.a (and I get the same link error as when building xmlwf).  The errors are:

CC -O2 -Ixmltok -Ixmlparse -DXML_NS -DXML_DTD -DXML_BYTE_ORDER=21 -o xmlwf/xmlwf xmlwf/xmlwf.o  xmlwf/xmlfile.o  xmlwf/codepage.o  xmlwf/unixfilemap.o xmlparse/libexpat.a
XmlInitUnknownEncodingNS            xmlparse/libexpat.a(xmlparse.o)
XmlInitUnknownEncoding              xmlparse/libexpat.a(xmlparse.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to xmlwf/xmlwf
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `xmlwf/xmlwf'

If I do not define XML_NS, then I get rid of the first undefined symbol (XmlInitUnknownEncodingNS), but the second one (XmlInitUnknownEncoding) remains.

But eventhough I was able to get rid of the first undefined symbol, I question why I was able to build it on the other machine, but not on this machine (following the exact same steps).

Does anybody have any ideas?  Thanks.

Ed
echan@macromedia.com
415-832-7485