[EuroPython] EuroPython 2013, 2014, 2015, ...

Giovanni Bajo giovanni at pycon.it
Fri Jan 11 11:57:27 CET 2013

Il giorno 10/gen/2013, alle ore 22:32, Filip Kłębczyk <fklebczyk at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> I have another question. On the meeting where the board has been chosen there was also a mention about EP conference registration web system to be open sourced. I'm asking, because it could be potentially used also for local PyCons websites.

There are two main hurdles with it:

1) The website is not meant to be a generic CMS, where people with no web programming experience can setup a PyCon website. It still requires proficiency in Django and HTML/CSS design. This also means that there is no installation guides, and no clear separation points between specifities of EuroPython and the generic part that could be reused. Our dream would be to get to a point where EuroPython-specific code/templates are separated into a different Django app, but we're not there yet.

2) We relay on an internal payment gateway / ticketing system which is a large Python-based application (with different technologies, different DBs, etc.) for the sole purpose of issuing payments (through PayPal) and invoices. The system is indeed quite large, and we use only a small subset of it; this is basically an incomplete transition, but I don't know if it can be fixed this year.

Moreover, the PSF has been quite uninterested in helping with this, because they are already sponsoring a similar effort: the application that powers the PyCon US website. You might as well look into it.
--
Giovanni Bajo

EuroPython 2012
https://ep2012.europython.eu