[EuroPython] Publication of speakers' data on the web site

Michael Foord mfoord at python.org
Sat Apr 9 17:20:40 CEST 2011

On 09/04/2011 15:46, Charlie Clark wrote:
> [snip...]
> <legal-stuff>
> The EU directive was not particularly well-drafted and explicitly
> forbids the use of cookies on a website without the explicit consent
> of the user in advance. Cookies that "are essential for the technical
> provision of a service" may be exempted from this. Although the law is
> supposed to enter into force by 25th May 2011 it must be implemented
> in each individual nation state and the EU Commission normally gives
> countries at least three years before initiating procedures. However,
> the jurisdiction on this is not clear for such a patently
> international process: what happens when the law is in force in
> country X and not in country Y. Because the law is so poorly drafted
> it is likely to open the door at least to test cases and at worst to
> serial injunctions leaving it up to the courts to decide exactly how
> to interpret it.
> </legal-stuff>
>
> I hope this helps clarify my comments.

It's normally the case however (certainly my understanding) that EU
directives have no direct legal validity until passed into law in member
states. (Member states can be prosecuted for not passing them into law -
but nationals aren't bound by them until this happens.) So the EU
directive is not relevant unless and until it is passed into Italian law.

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/