[EuroPython] Getting there not by air

Albertas Agejevas alga at pov.lt
Fri Jul 16 11:04:00 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 02:08:42AM +0300, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> I'd like to get to conference, but with round trip air flight from
> Belarus the participation
> price rises to a little bit more than 1500$ - too much for my budget.

Two months ago Ryanair offered Kaunas-Birmingham return tickets for
around $250.  Unfortunately now that flight is sold out.  You could
have gotten to Kaunas by train quite easily I imagine.

> Speaking about alternatives, does anybody how long it could take to
> hitchhike through the Europe from Poland to UK these days? I hope
> that hitchhiking in Europe is not illegal like in U.S.

If you look clean clean and unintimidating, dress in bright colours,
follow the main routes and don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere,
you can plan the average travel speed of around 50 km/h.  In Germany
you can easily reach 100 km/h.  Speaking of Poland, it makes sense to
spend 6 hours at the border and find a car that will take you to the
other border.  You might have problems at the UK border.

Hope this helps.  Good luck with finding a good train route.

Albertas